What is a Guardian?
A guardian is an individual appointed by a probate court to act on behalf of someone who has been deemed unable to act on his/her own behalf.
Our services include:
- Assessment of needed services by a case manager
- Petitioning the court for guardianship services
- Case management
- Overseeing living arrangements
- Arranging support services
- Managing finances and assets
- Making informed medical decisions concerning the ward
Who is elligible?
Mahoning County adult residents, age 55 and over, who have been deemed by the Mahoning County Probate Court, to be incompetent due to cognitive impairment and incapable of making appropriate decisions for themselves are eligible. These individuals are considered by the court to be at risk for neglect, abuse or exploitation.
Referrals for guardianship services are made by:
- Social Workers
- Case Managers
- Health Care Providers
- Nursing Homes
- Mental Health Care Providers
- Mahoning County Adult
- Protective Services
- Probate Court
A caseworker from Compass Family & Community Services Guardianship program will perform an assessment to determine if guardianship services should be recommended.
Prospective Wards Rights
- To be treated with personal dignity and respect
- To live in a safe and comfortable environment
- To live without abuse, neglect or exploitation
- To receive an explanation of why you may be appointed a guardian
- To question, contest or disagree with a guardianship application made for you by an agency or an individual
- To attend court hearings involving you, have a court reporter present, and to be represented by an attorney
- To have a friend or family member present at the hearing
- To present alternatives to guardianship that may be less restrictive
- To be assured that the guardian who may be appointed to you is bonded and will protect your money and property
- To receive an explanation of your plan of care from your prospective guardian
- To have your best interests protected by the probate court and to appeal any decisions that are made
Contact Compass Family & Community Services
535 Marmion Avenue – Youngstown, Ohio 44502
Phone: (330) 782-5664 or Fax: (330) 782-1614